Friday, November 11, 2011

30 for 30 for 30 : Day Eleven

Hello!

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada. It's a time to remember those who lost their lives serving for our country, those who came home, and those still working to make this a peaceful world. Americans have Veteran's Day, but it doesn't seem as solemn as up here. People would never say "Happy Remembrance Day" or have big sales at stores- the majority of businesses are closed. Everyone wears poppies and either go to memorials at cenotaphs or watch ceremonies on television. Maybe I just don't see that as much since I don't live in America, but 90% of my television channels are from the US, so I'm getting the impression that it's not the same. I don't know, maybe any readers from America could enlighten me?

This year I decided to do something a little different. I live across the street from a cemetery that has soldiers buried there. The soldier's graves are marked by headstones that have a maple leaf (representing Canada) or an anchor to represent the navy. Even though it was a huge rainstorm outside, I pulled on my rubber boots and raincoat and went over. I visited every soldier's grave in the cemetery to pay my respects. Who knows, they may not have had anyone visit their graves in a long time. I left my poppy on one of their graves. By the time I got home I was soaked. So the outfit you see in this post was ruined. But it was worth it. I think of all the hardships our veterans went through to keep us safe, so a little rain and wet clothes is nothing. Lest we forget.




8) Trouser Jeans- Mark's Work Warehouse
5) Grey Cardigan- Walmart
7) Light Teal Ribbed Tank- Suzy Shier
1) Big Buckle Belt- Walmart

Earrings- Gift from my Mom
Necklace- Le Chateau  




No comments:

Post a Comment